Defensive Handgun Tactics 1 near Bend & Redmond Oregon
Defensive Handgun Tactics 1 provides students with the tools and mindset necessary to properly defend themselves and their loved ones with a handgun.
Defensive Handgun Tactics 1 is eight (8) hours of handgun training at a shooting range.
There are no prerequisites to this course, however, all students must be able to perform introductory-level skills such as basic weapons manipulation (i.e. locking slide to the rear, loading magazines, etc.). If students are not confident in their abilities with basic handgun manipulation, we recommend starting with Introduction to Handgun.
Defensive Handgun Tactics 1 is the prerequisite course required to attend the following courses:
Along with top quality instruction, students will have the opportunity to practice drills in a safe and friendly atmosphere. Drills are geared towards making students more comfortable with firing and manipulating their handgun while also preparing them for a defensive encounter.
The day begins with a safety brief as well as going over the mindset and philosophies regarding the defensive use of handguns. The next segment of the course is focused on dry fire manipulations, followed by live fire manipulations:
Dry Fire Manipulations Include
- Proper placement of gear
- Loading/unloading and press checking
- Drawing and holstering
- After action response
- Ready positions
- Moving with a firearm in ready positions
- Emergency reloads
- Tactical reloads
- Clearing malfunctions
- Fundamentals of marksmanship
Live Fire Manipulations Include
- 2 handed sighted slow fire (accuracy analysis)
- Single-handed firing dominant hand
- Single-handed firing non-dominant hand
- Shooting from kneeling positions
- Controlled pairs
- Close quarters un-sighted fire drills
- Focused accuracy drills
- Shooting from behind cover
The culmination of the course is the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards & Training (DPSST) Pistol Qualification Course (PQC-1). This will allow students to quantify their skills and compare them with what is required of their local law enforcement.
Upon successful completion of this course students will receive a certificate of completion.
Note: Certification does not meet the requirements under ORS 166.291 to obtain an Oregon Concealed Handgun License.
– Valid form of government issued Photo ID
– Semi-automatic duty sized handgun chambered in .380 ACP, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 Auto (no revolvers)
– At least 2 magazines (if your magazine capacity is less than 6 rounds, bring 3 magazines)
– Holster and magazine pouch
– 150 rounds of handgun ammunition
– Belt and suitable clothing (range is outdoors, dress for the weather)
– Shoes with lateral support
– Knee pads (optional)
– Sunscreen (weather dependent)
– Hat with visor
– Eye and ear protection
– Lunch, snacks, and drinks (refrigeration is unavailable. There is a market nearby for purchasing lunch)
*Rental equipment (firearm/ammunition/eye & ear protection) is available for an additional fee and with advanced notice.
All firearms must be unloaded and in a case or holster upon arrival. All firearms will remain in their case or holster until specifically directed to be taken out under the guidance of a DFI instructor.